Day Camp Information
Our horse camps are designed for young riders who are interested in learning about horses including grooming, saddling your horse, horse/rider communication and riding techniques as well as crafts and games designed to enhance and educate young riders about the horse. To participate in our Day Camps children are to be between the ages of 7 – 15 years old.
The days consists of a variety of activities developed to teach young riders the basics of horsemanship. The day camp begins at 8:30 am and finishes at 4:30 pm. No previous horse experience is necessary.
Daily horseback riding – We ride in the arenas, in the corrals and on the trails. Length of riding time depends on the camp program you choose.
Ground School – Learn to groom and saddle and how to handle a horse on the ground, including cleaning the hooves.
Horse Care – Learn to feed, how to clean tack, clean stalls, and take horses to their paddocks or pastures.
Games and Horse Activities – on the ground and in the saddle.
Horse Shoe Demonstration – our farrier welcomes questions.
Friday Horse Show – with ribbons, trophies and awards.
Safe and positive environment.
Friendship circles, team-building activities and barn buddies.
Small classes – limited enrollment
Required Camp Materials:
The following list is of things that are suggested for horse camp; items 1 through 7 are required. Please put child’s name on all items brought to the camp.
- Long pants, (Jeans, riding pants)
- Shoes with a heel or boots that are comfortable-will get muddy occasionally. Absolutely no metal toe shoes will be permitted. Campers wearing tennis shoes or metal toe shoes will not be allowed to ride. If the conditions are wet bring rubber boots.
- Pack a lunch, snacks and a re-usable water bottle identified with the riders name on it.
- Sunscreen and bug repellent.
- A RIDING HELMET IS REQUIRED – If you have one bring it, if not we do supply helmets.
- Light color t-shirt or long sleeve shirt if your child burns easily.
- A towel.
- Extra socks.
- Shorts to put on when not riding. Tennis shoes may be worn at this time.
- Hat to wear to keep the sun off when riding helmet is not being used.
- A camera.
- Swimmies or life jacket if camper participates in pool activities and does not know how to swim.
Typical Schedule for Day Camp usually consists of:
(Schedule will be given after final registration)
8:30 – 9:00 Arrival and camper “pow-wow” to discuss ideas for the day
9:00 – 10:00 Walk horses and mount.
10:00 – 11:00 Ride
11:00 – 11:30 Untack
11:30 – 12:00 Lunch
12:00 – 1:00 Swimming
1:00 – 1:30 Tack horses
1:30 – 2:00 Games
2:00 – 2:30 Untack
2:30 – 3:30 Crafts
3:30 – 4:15 Swim time
4:30 – Pick up
2017 Camp Information
Full week or Half Sessions (8:30-12:30 or 1:00-4:30)
The dates for Day Camp are now June 5, 2017 through June 9, 2017; June 19, 2017 through June 23, 2017; and July 10, 2017 through July 14, 2017.
The total cost is $325.00 early registration per camper per week by May 15th; late registration $350.00 or $70.00 per camper per session. We require a non-refundable deposit of $100.00 to guarantee the reservation for the rider. This price includes the following items:
- Drop off of camper between 8:30 and 9:00am
- Pick up of camper between 4:00 and 4:30 p.m.
- Riding lessons – safety, fun and equitation skills practiced.
- All about horses – shoeing, healthcare, grooming, anatomy, grooming.
- Instruction on Stable care – feeding and barn upkeep.
- Cool down and tack cleaning.
- Fun activities, games on horseback – Poll bending, Simon Says, apple bobbing, water relay, and many more.
- Swimming activities.
- Horseshoe demonstration
- Certificate of Achievement upon completion.
- Helmets and horses with tack will be provided.
- Half day sessions 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. or 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.